DIACC, the Digital ID & Authentication Council of Canada, has a mandate to catalyze changes and set the strategic direction for Digital Identification and Authentication for the public and private sectors in Canada.
Between 2010-2012, Canadian Finance Minister Flaherty appointed the Task Force for the Payments System Review. One of the key recommendations of that Task Force was that digital ID and authentication are integral to the success of digital payments and to Canada’s digital economy.
A working group was created with representatives of the public and private sectors, privacy commissioners offices, and consumer advocates to better understand the subject. The working group developed a vision of a robust, secure, scaleable, and privacy-enhancing structure for transacting online and the DIACC was created to continue the activities of the working group after the wrap-up of the Task Force.
The mission of the DIACC is to unlock interoperable capabilities of the public and private sector to secure Canada’s full and beneficial participation in the digital economy by fulfilling the following strategic goals aligned with our 10 Principles for an Identity Ecosystem.
- Create, publish, and evolve the Pan-Canadian Trust Framework and identify the legislative needs to support the vision.
- Accelerate interoperability by securing adoption of the Pan-Canadian Trust Framework by businesses and governments.
- Design, develop, launch a certification program aligned with market needs.
- Raise profile of Canada’s digital identity innovation via the DIACC as Canada’s digital identity forum.
- Create Canadian expertise and intellectual property for excellence in digital identity.
Today, as we are fighting the #COVID19 pandemic, the importance of #digitalidentity is urgently re-emphasized. @mydiacc President @jonibrennan explains why now is the time to come together to ensure that Canada becomes a #digitalidentity nation https://t.co/dw4y5xkkHP pic.twitter.com/A1kFhj6MYc
— Delivering Canada's Digital Trust Framework (@mydiacc) April 16, 2020